The weather in Portland has been cold, wet and impossible to glue, epoxy or paint anything until this past weekend. Sunday was finally lovely, but we had other plans for the afternoon, so not much boat work was done. We did get to enjoy music that Shakespeare may have heard.
So, what can be done when the weather does not cooperate? Someone was asking us how we keep track of the planning process. Bill uses yellow pads.
One of the drawbacks of having the sink over the engine is that there is not very much room at all for plumbing once all the engine gear is in place. We need to fit drains and water hoses and make sure that everything stays clear of the alternator and that all was going to be a challenge. It was such a tight fit under the sink that Bill decided to move the spacer block we had installed for the circuit breaker to the alternator so we’d have room to actually run hoses without rubbing on wiring or the alternator itself. Another consequence of the lack of space below is that we will probably not add a salt water spigot for the sink. We will be adding a watermaker at some point, so we should have plenty of water and won’t need the salt water rinse faucet. We don’t plan on having pressurized water in the galley (we used to, but it was only cold). Water will be filtered, but it will still be a cold water system. Bill has run the hoses from the water tanks and we are waiting to install the foot pump for the sink.
The engine cover had one drawback – in order to check the oil, the entire panel needed to be unscrewed. We found out that Beckson makes an 8″ plate and it’s big enough to get a hand and a dip stick out. On the left, the hole, on the right, the plate installed. The back of the screw off lid is now backed with lead foam so it should help cut down on engine noise.