Ducts in a Row

We went to the Seattle Boat show at the end of January and we made a decision on a watermaker. We decided to get it this year so we could try it out, in salt water, on our summer trip to Vancouver Island. We ordered it and it arrived. It was in a huge box.

What is it
It is huge! Where will it fit?
watermaker
I don’t think it is returnable, we will figure it out.
packing
It is all packing!
watermaker in box
Our baby.   Six gallons per hour of fresh water.
watermaker space
The bulkhead on the right is where the watermaker will go above the quarter berth. We had to modify the shelf so it would fit. From now on the quarter berth is going to be a cozy corner where special guests get to sleep.

The watermaker was a fun diversion to the real project of putting the galley and head trim in. Being slightly crazy we decided to epoxy the wood to wood joints and use 3M 4000 on the wood to formica joints. This meant we had two different glues and clean ups going at once.

head trim 1
Lower head trim.
head trim 2
Upper head trim. Not only did we have two glues, but we had these tight fitting tenon joints that would have pleased Roy Underhill. It was messy and we tried to protect the paint and formica. We had pre-varnished the wood with three to four coats of varnish so the epoxy and caulk mess would not soak into the grain. The gluing surfaces were taped off so they were not varnished.
galley 1
Again in the galley, improvised clamps and everything is taped off. All the pieces were numbered so we would not forget the sequence of the installation.
galley 2
From a distance it does not look bad. In reality we need to sand all of the joints and re varnish.  And caulk all the surface joints so they have a consistent bead all around.  At 2.5 inches high the fiddles should prove adequate. They are about triple the height of fiddles in production boats and they do give the galley a serious, no nonsense look.   We’ll see how that all works out this summer.  All that dangling wire got neatened up before the furnace ducting went in.
duct
We can finally get our ducts for the forced air furnace in. They will take up a lot of space even once they are tied up in place.

We have also been completing the cabin sole. We got the flooring installed in the head, passageway and vee berth. The trick is getting everything to line up once it is covered in glue and to keep it in place.

head sole
Milk jugs are your friend.
head sole done
Finished vee berth sole. The piss green (Bill’s name for the original yellowish color), will get painted white and the wood trim will get sanded and varnished. Edges and transition joints have been caulked and the floor board fits.
sole
Complete sole.
cockpitlocker
Cockpit locker floors have also been moving forward. They have been coated in epoxy. We also just added wood cleats to locate the bottom of the sides. The next step is to make the sides and enclose the engine with insulated panels.

2 thoughts on “Ducts in a Row”

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s